SBR4: BLOWBACK - DRUG WAR (7")
The third release from DC protest punks BLOWBACK, recorded by Don Zientara (Fugazi, Minor Threat) at Inner Ear. Four new songs of biting, bilingual politics mixed with '80s style hardcore in the vein of MDC and early Black Flag. Great packaging with artwork by Rob Hanna (Aborted Society).
1 Drug War
2 Bible Belt
a The Shift
b Vamos Juntos
GET FROM7" VINYL
- "Four songs that bring back memories of early DOA (at their best) and MDC (circa Smoke Signal period, one that I love) and this little record is just fantastic from start to finish. Great songs, nifty riffage and you can just feel the anger and passion in every song. .... Looking like one of my fave 7"s this year so far." - Profane Existence
- "Surprising stuff here. Competent and detailed hardcore with a great recording...I’m hearing Agnostic Front, Dead Kennedys (mostly due to the heavy sarcasm and mocking Southern accents in the song “Bible Belt”), Pennywise and, finally, Voodoo Glowskulls..there’s some definite power here, and the sonic similarities to the aforementioned bands are definitely better off for being built off a hardcore template like the kind that Blowback’s laying down." - Razorcake
- "Blowback brings a strong political message to their rock. I felt a strong link to M.D.C. and The Dead Kennedys, good music with a positive message." - Juice Magazine
- "This 7” from Blowback is blistering punk/HC with a melodic twist. The songs here are full on attacks and take on the current society sung in both English and Spanish, blasting through the speakers without a lot of polish. Raw and unapologetic, Blowback’s music is aggressive, aware, and powerful.... I really should have heard this EP sooner." - The Trouble With Normal
- "The Drug War EP is great. Love the title track. Sounds like a long lost, amazing DOA song!" -- AMP Magazine
BALSA / SEI HEXE (7" SPLIT)
SEI HEXE - "Tight song structure... earthy with tribal rhythms and chanted, almost gothic vocals at times...and from the wreckage create something new and refreshing."
BALSA - "Chaotic dual guitar arrangements over steady bass melodies, post-hardcore style vocals and off the wall drum patterns."
- Profane Existence
SEI HEXE - "It’s dark, aggressive, tribal, and gets under your skin... I have a feeling they probably kill this shit live"
BALSA - "Three songs packed tight with steady drum fills and pulsing bass that keep things rolling"